Melengkapi artikel pembelajaran bahasa inggris tentang past continuous tense sebelumnya, mari kita lanjutkan pembahasan tentang anggota keluarga tenses lampau lainya yaitu pengertian rumus dan contoh past perfect tense. Perlu diketahui bahwa jenis tenses lampau mempunyai kaitan erat dengan pembelajaran cerita fable dan juga contoh narrative text lainya.
Past perfect tense is commonly understood as a tense that expresses the one past time completed event or action before another past time event or action interrupting at that time. For that reason, this tense is always tied to past time when we talk about longer lasting or permanent situation. This past perfect tense emphasizes the idea of the completion of the past event or action at that time. Past perfect mark the first past action as separate, independent of the second, and completed before the second action started at that time. Past perfect tense commonly use “when” rather than the other as the time conjunction in the sentence.
Rumus Past Perfect Tense
The past perfect tense structure is made up of subject of the sentence and followed by the past participle form of auxiliary have (had) and then followed by the past participle form of regular or irregular verb, and then end the sentence, if there is any, with the object of the sentence. The illustration of the past perfect tense form or formula is presented as follows:
The formula:Contoh dan Penggunaan Past Perfect Tense
Subject + past participle of Aux have (Had) + Past Participle verb + Object.
When I arrived at the birthday party, Lucy had already gone home
Untuk menambah pemahaman penggunaan dalam kalimat bahasa inggris, past perfect tense sring digunakan dalam situasi nyata sebagaimana berikut:
• Past perfect is common after past verb of saying and thinking, to talk about thing that had happened before the saying and the thinking. For example:
- I told her that I had finished
- I thought I had sent the cheque a week before.
- I wonder who had left the door open
- The burglar alarm went off and a crowd of people began to gather. Soon, the police arrived. But they were too late. The thieves had already gone without any trace.
- I had hoped we would be able to leave tomorrow, but it is beginning to look difficult.
- He had intended to make a cake, but he run out of time.
- If I had gone to university, I would have studied medicine.
- I wish you had told me all the truth
- I would rather she had asked me before borrowing the car.